History and today
Since 1885 private library of count Julius Andrassy existed in the town Trebišov. It conteted 3152 books of foreign languages (hungarian, german, french and english).
First municipal library was established before World War One, in year 1910, fully in hungarian language. In the year 1913 also book barrow (touring library) existed. It contained 500 books in hungarian language and was established by County council of museums and libraries. Names of librarians are unknown.
The first reading-room of books and magazines (not regular library) was established in 1924 by shool inspector of district, Mr. Matej Subuly, within branch office of Matica Slovenská. In the offer of reading-room there were magazines aka Slovenský denník, Slovenský východ, Slovenský svet, Národné noviny and humor magazines Kocúr a Jež, besides slovak books. In 1925 the library council was establishe in town Trebišov, what is evidence about existency of municipal library in national language. In 1942 municipal library in Trebišov has very scarce book-stock – cca 400 books.
The first reference about library in Trebišov appeared in 1946, but archive information says that library in Trebišov was established in 1952 and settled in building of District secretariate of SČSP. Later it moved to self building on the main street. The first librarian was Mrs. Viktória Čiernohorská. With increasing of book amount, also number of librarians increased up to three women and two men – metodical workers, who care about public libraries situated in villages of district.
In 1960 Disctrict library in Trebisov was established and the first director was Mrs. Mária Sakalová. In 1964 the library moved to the building of Municipal cultural centre. In that time department of bibilography with one librarian started up its acitivities.
Following directors of the Disctrict library in Trebišov were: Mikuláš Gazíd, Ján Guláš, Ján Chovanec, Tibor Kičiň (1969), Hedviga Fraňová (1981 – 1982).
In 1986, in the time Pavol Dojčak were the director, the District library in Trebisov were moved to new buildinf of Municipal Cultural Centre, where it is situated till today. Since the 1st may of 1990 till end of year 2006, Mgr. Maria Brindzáková was the director.